Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Rest Day

Today I didn't run, cross-train or lift weights. I had the option of doing a 30-minute easy run, but my McMillan plan for the Houston Marathon had a big yellow highlighted cell in the spreadsheet for this week that said: "This is a good week for recovery. You may want to run on the low end of the mileage or take an extra day off."

Usually on recovery weeks I try to do the lower end of the mileage range. I always have Sunday off and have felt good on just one full rest day, so I haven't felt the need for more.

This week has been different. I went to spin class on Monday morning as usual and felt no leftover soreness from Saturday's 22-miler. But the rest of Monday was stressful. A friend of mine had something terrible happen, and I was worried about him. This resulted in one of my insomnia nights. I woke up at 1 a.m. Tuesday and couldn't return to sleep. At 6 a.m., my daughter came into our room. I decided up was up and went out for my planned track workout, which was supposed to be eight to ten 800s.

In retrospect, I should have done this on the gym treadmill. It was really cold outside (our window thermometer said 15 degrees when I got back after the sun had come up, so it may well have been colder when I set out). Due to the lack of sleep I felt like crap. Somehow, though, it seemed easier at the beginning to bundle up, skip scraping car and just do it at the high school.

I could never get warm and managed only six 800s before I flat ran out of gas. The six I did were good, right in the range where McMillan wants me to run them, but I hate falling short in a workout. I hate when my mind isn't strong enough to make my legs go. Even now, part of me is still telling myself...."You should have done eight.....you should have done the minimum...." But I didn't. Instead, I jogged home, sad to be wasting all the fast songs I'd put on my iPod for the occasion.

Now that I'm clear-headed (last night's sleep, thankfully, was good), it's evident to me that I needed today to be a real rest day. 22-Mile-Long-Run+Hosting-a-Party+Personal-Stuff+Insomnia=One Tired Runner. Often on rest days I feel draggy, and also like every morsel I put in my mouth is making me fat. That hasn't been the case today (though I probably shouldn't have eaten all those pita chips....pita chips are like crack....) I'm still sleepy, but it's a good kind of sleepy, un-tinged with grouchiness or that deep malaise that I associate with over-training.

I get to run on each of the next three days. I'll be back in the weight room in the morning.

But today is for rest and recovery. I'm going to bed early tonight. I may or may not do some stretching first.

I'm OK with that.

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan! Enjoy your rest day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pita chips ARE like crack.

    Sounds like you're making the smart choice. You've had a LOT going on. And I totally get what you mean about the mind giving in to the body...or, worse, convincing the body to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be OK with that! Nothing wrong with a rest day. You'll appreciate it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always okay to have a rest day...listen to your body- rest is a good thing! Glad you got to take a needed day of "chill" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my...Stacey's pita chips I can't buy them, I will eat the entire bag.

    You are so very dedicated I'm just in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, I always felt better after a good rest day. In fact, I never understood run streaking because I felt so burnt out by day 3 in a row of running. Way to listen to your body!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your body will reward you with lots and lots of thanks for taking the entire day off, even eating crack-like pita chips :). The workout was just a sign that your body could do no more and needed to recharge and refuel, kudos to you for listening and not pushing. Your runs the rest of the week will be awesome!! Sorry about your friend's personal crisis, I know how tough that is. I hope he's doing better now!! (hugs).

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, you will have a ton of fire for the next key workout- not in a rest week. :)
    Hope everything turns out OK with your friend and that you got some good Zzzzs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My coaches for me to have one rest day a week where there is nothing...no yoga, no stretching ...nada. I actually love it as by the time that day comes around I am 'zausted.
    Pita chips don't stand a chance in our house...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup, pita chips ARE like crack. So, so good :)

    Sounds like a rest day is exactly the right thing to do! Recovery and rest = better running long-term, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Rest" doesn't have to be a 4-lettered word :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pita chips are like crack!!! I try to just use carrots with my hummus or else I can't stop. I know that feeling of "I should've" but it was in the teens and you were tired and you don't do it all the time. A rest day is hard for us crazy runners but they are good. Hope the stuff with your friend works out. Sorry you have a friend who is going through something horrible :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just found you... I'll be doing Houston too, but switched to the half after an injury this summer. :( I always take a day completely off, usually Sunday. Hope you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blah. I don't envy your speed work in that cold. Good for you getting 6.
    Yes! Rest days make me feel that same way: like I don't 'need' the food. Not that that stops me or anything.
    Glad you rested. It will pay off for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ran yesterday in 19 degree weather and it was awful, cut my workout short and beat myself up for it too. My ass was actually cold.

    Hope your friend is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  16. An extra day off and going to bed early sometimes must be part of our scheduled program.

    ReplyDelete