Saturday, January 14, 2012

Goals

I have a lot to say about the Olympic Marathon Trials, but I'll have to post it later. There were times during the day today when I did forget, but the fact remains that I have a marathon to run tomorrow! :^)

My goals for the race are:

C) Bad-day goal: beat my PR of 3:59
B) Realistic goal: run a 3:50 or better
A) Dream goal: run a 3:45 or better and qualify for the Boston Marathon

My plan for the race is: line up with the 3:50 pace group at the back of the A corral (I am number 5119 if you want to track me). Run slow and smart at first--no too-fast starts this time. Check in with my body and mind periodically to see if I have it in me to speed up from there--and if so, run down the dream. If I can run a smart race, I'll have checked another lesson off my list, no matter what my time at the finish.

I certainly haven't lacked for inspiration. This is my first charity marathon (it's not too late to donate to the Houston Food Bank--and thanks again to those of you who already have). My training has been solid, if not spectacular, and I'm proud of my long runs. I've spent lots of time with family and friends this weekend (thanks Kathy, Aunt Terzah, Colin, Mimi, Dimity, Sarah, Laura, Amanda and all the wonderful new bloggers I met today). I will be seeing more friends later (Jenne, Amy, John, and Rosann). I watched some amazing runners contend in a fantastic race. I've shaken hands with Olympians (most recently Adam Goucher, about 20 minutes ago, here in the hotel lobby). And I am proud and humbled to run this race for my cousin Katy (serving in Afghanistan), for my friends Max and Angela and in memory of Sherry Arnold, the Montana teacher you've all been reading about this week. I also want to run well for my husband, Dan, and my kids, Will and Ruth, who have put up with lots of months of long runs and running talk.

I'm ready. It's time to do this.

11 comments:

  1. There is just no way that it can be anything but a great day! We've had a 3 day pep rally after all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck good luck good luck!! I'll be thinking about you guys tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go, go, go!! I'll be thinking of you and sending speedy thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rock it! Have an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck Terzah! Can't wait for your recap!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great race Terzah! I am cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck! I am sending you speedy vines! Can't wait to read all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm probably too late, but good luck! I can't wait to hear about how well you did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saw you run by today, and I snapped a pic but I think it was too late! Can't wait to hear your report! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope it went awesome!! Can't wait to hear your recap of the race.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just looked up your finish time! Yay! Great, great time!!!

    ReplyDelete