Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Scolding from the Coach

I'm enjoying my training right now, feeling like I'm in a groove, feeling like a real runner again.

Where do real runners go to do intervals? The track, of course! So when Darren assigned me some speed work last Tuesday, I headed over to the nearby high school track to get them done. They weren't anything that sounded hard on paper: six 2.5-minute intervals at a heart rate between 168 and 172. But mid-way through I had that dead-legged feeling, that sluggish "ugh" feeling, and only the idea that Darren felt I could handle them got me through them without quitting.

I went home to get ready for the day feeling triumphant, and happily reported back to Darren with the details.

That evening, I got the following email:

Hi Terzah

Just looked at your workout summary from today and this is your first SCOLDING...if I put track on your schedule then go on the track...but if it's a fartlek or something measured but not the track...please stay off the track. I am a firm believer that tracks injure athletes and I certainly don't want that happening to you.

Looked like you were running strong though...nice.

Regards
Darren


I was so excited to be SCOLDED (and then told that I appeared to have been running strong) that I went and got Dan so he could read it too. I knew Dan would get it.

"Wow," he said. "That's awesome! He cares!"

Later I told Dr. Hansen about it, too. He laughed and said it won't be my last scolding. I wrote Darren back and promised no more tracks unless specifically told to go to the track. If I need a flat, soft surface, my ponds are a much prettier (and less creepy at 5:30 a.m.) place anyway.

It's been a crazy week since then. On Friday I had brunch in Denver with Kathy, and then went home, packed, got the kids from school and drove them up to Rocky Mountain National Park for a late summer camping weekend with their former classmates from preschool. It was wonderful: fresh air, chilly temperatures, shooting stars, grubby five-year-olds...But I'm glad the next few weeks will be strictly on the routine. We'll see if I can avoid another scolding!

What do you think about the idea that tracks injure runners? It must have been in the back of my mind even before Darren said something, because I ran the first three intervals in one direction and then turned around to do the other three in the opposite direction.

22 comments:

  1. yep, i'll have to agree with darren. i do track workouts in moderation. there was a time i was hitting the track weekly and ended up with a tight hamstring. luckily it wasn't serious but i learned my lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard that before, but I could see where it could be true. I love that you are so proud of your scolding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that tracks can cause problems, especially high mileage in the same direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard that tracks hurt runners.but very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  5. You found a good one it sounds like Terzah! Camping weekend sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, Darren. Stay off the track! I agree with him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ran track in high school and college and was never injured. But who knows. Glad your running strong right now and feeling like the runner you are meant to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard that either but good to know. Darren is helping all of us out! Good to hear that things are just getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bahahaha, you got in trouble! That's awesome! Anyways, I don't know about the track thing. I know when I had shin splints/stress fractures I was told to use the track because it is so much softer, but I've never tried it otherwise because it is so boring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see a time out for you! I scold my clients, too, when they don't listen. There's a purpose behind every workout! But so glad you felt good!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would dare say that Darren knows his stuff. Glad he's keeping a good eye on you! Glad you and Kathy got some pancakes in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I believe the track is evil. Nice trails around your pretty ponds sounds like a much better speed work setting. :-) Glad things are coming around for you and that you are back to feeling like a real runner! That is always a good thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I prefer not to use the track, for myself or my clients, and I use a measured segment of road out where I live for intervals - that has it's own issues thanks to the cambering of the road - but smooth trails are preferable - especially since you're coming back from an injury and adding mileage and speed - which requires a delicate balance. What I would have scolded you for, however (and you don't actually mention whether your interval times dropped/goal HR was harder to reach, or if you felt your form was suffering) but doggedly sticking to a prescribed workout is not a good idea. If you feel that you can't finish the last interval as strong as the first (yes, it may feel more difficult, but you're still feeling good) then you should quit when you feel you've 'hit the wall' or when your time drops/form starts falling apart. And, I do scold my runners - like when I tell them to do a mid length run with 3 miles at x-pace and they run the whole thing at x-pace because they were feeling good! Great - but that wasn't the purpose of the workout. Listen to your coach! ;). .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm. I wonder why the track creates injuries? Is it the side stress (centrifugal force) created by turns at speed?

    I end up doing my speed work (such as it is) on a treadmill, so no worries from me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for your first scolding! :) He really does sound like an involved, caring coach. I've wondered the same about tracks- but here the univ. track is closed to runners unless you're with a special group that has permission, so most of my speed has been done elsewhere, with my own measurements.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that you love that you were scolded. That's fantastic.


    I have heard the idea that tracks injure runners many times as well. Honestly, I've never run on a track, so I can't speak from experience.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did he specifically say stay off the track? Hmmm I've not been on a track since 2008 and I've been injured plenty. Guess I'm special that way. Good for you for running strong!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Naughty girl! :)
    You were mentally preparing for the upcoming injury by switching directions, but maybe the injury -related running on a track has something to do with people either trying to impress others, or running beyond their zones to meet an idea or time goal they *think* they should be doing. Rotating directions should otherwise fix any issues, I'd think.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very interesting! I am working on yet another injury (hip ITB), and I'm wondering if it's because of the track now? I've recently incorporated track workouts in lieu of just doing my speed work on the canals like I used to do. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's funny! I have never run on the track, except in high school, and that was only for a mile, so I really can't tell you about injuries + track workouts. In fact, I have never heard that before.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never heard that tracks injure runners before. But don't take my word for it since I do a lot of track workouts and have been out of running commission for the last month. I'm actually convinced it's the plyometrics that caused my injury. I have had pretty good luck overall, running on a track for the last 6 years.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay, so now you are either going to have to do a whole post about the track possibly injuring runners or get your coach to do a guest post! :) I am really curious about this. I have been running on the track regularly since 2008 and haven't been injured, except when I did hard workouts on the treadmill 2 days in a row in shoes that needed to be replaced. But I am would like to know more so I can help myself stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete