Saturday, April 14, 2012

California Dreamin'

Just a quick post because I have Mexican lentil soup simmering on the stove and in just a few moments I'll need to go fry up some plantains! But I wanted to put something up so all you nice people don't think I'm always grumpy.

My trip to California has been fantastic. Here's a quick run-down:

1. I slept until 9:30 a.m. yesterday (that's 10:30 a.m. Colorado time). I think this might be a post-child record for me. It definitely wasn't something I expected to do in a house where a newborn baby is in residence.

2. Speaking of the newborn baby, red-haired Lucy Anne and I bonded last night while her parents dined out. She slept in my arms for two and a half hours, allowing me to watch Jane Eyre. Jane Eyre was my second DVD of the day. Lucy, my sis-in-law Jessica and I had watched Little Women earlier (does Winona Ryder annoy anyone but me? She always seems to be that wretched chick from that wretched movie, Reality Bites, no matter what part she's playing).

3. This morning I woke up with the sun, on my own, and took the train over to Old Town Pasadena and hung out with this lady:

Lovely Caroline and Terzah!
We had a fantastic time, hanging out at a coffee shop for over two hours and talking about everything from running marathons (which she will do!) to how we met our husbands (very similar love-at-first-sight kinds of stories). She is as real as she comes across in her blog. Another girl who had been sitting near us actually stopped at our table on her way out to tell Caro that she is lovely. It's so true! She just exudes lovely!

4. After I got back, my cousin Andrew came over, and he and my brother John and I went hiking. I was worried about my back, but it didn't even give me a twinge as we climbed up up up a mountain above Pasadena called Mt. Lowe.

The view was wonderful. That's my brother in the middle with his dog, Dottie Jo, and our cousin Andrew on the end.

Thunder storms had rolled through yesterday and the air remained cool and fragrant with sage and rain. It was fantastic, a great substitute for my usual recumbent bike ride and nothing my PTs would object to.

5. Now, I'm making soup (and will soon make guac), and I'm planning on another good night's sleep and some more good healthy California food (plus some decadent gelato) before I head back to Colorado tomorrow.

My attitude has definitely undergone a positive adjustment. I'm looking forward to my Monday PT appointment AND to following all of my friends who are racing tomorrow in various locales and of course on Monday.....in Boston!

18 comments:

  1. yum...guac!  (notice how that's the first thing I mention...)  

    so many great things: sleeping late (one of life's GREAT luxuries) , holding sweet little babies, meeting cool running people and hanging out with family.   Pretty darn cool that you were able to hike without pain!!!   Very happy you are having such a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fabulous trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are having a great trip and recharging your batteries!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous weekend! I'm so glad it is turning out to be just what you needed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, what a good time!! I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself and really able to savor some of the things you love while you're away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well "lovely Caro" thinks this California trip of yours was a GREAT idea! and you need to come back soon!!! I am so happy I got to meet you! The time flew by! Thank you for spending some time with me this morning!  I am glad you are having a good visit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grumpy?? that is the last word that comes to my mind if I think of you

    ReplyDelete
  8. raina_smalltownrunnerApril 14, 2012 at 10:41 PM

    What a great day! I would be happy watching Jane Eyre with the house quiet too :) Nice to get a bloggy meet up and visit over coffee. If you are ever in Oregon...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was it just heavenly to hold a newborn like that? I miss it so much! So fun that you and Caroline got to meet! That photo of the two of you is GREAT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a wonderful trip and a good recharging for you.  WHEN you make it to run your Boston, I totally hope to be there to meet you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you're having such a good time! That is some impressive sleeping in, I'm jealous.  And so sweet to have baby bonding time.  Sounds like you'll be coming home refreshed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well look at that ... two of my fav's!!! Hope you gals had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love guac also!  Yummy! 

    I am glad you had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad you were able to take this trip - and spending time with Caroline - double bonus!!!
    Sure look HOT in Boston today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww, that sounds like an amazing trip! If you ever decide to visit Seattle, you can come cook with me! The food you're cooking sounds yummy. Funny- I made split pea and ham soup yesterday....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful, wonderful! So glad you had a lovely trip. I want to get back to CA for a visit again someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great meeting with a very nice friend and ... in a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like such a great trip! Yay for a different form of pain free exercising! You are getting there!!

    ReplyDelete