Monday, April 16, 2012

Physical Therapy Ch. 6

First off, congratulations to all of you who stuck it out and made it to the finish line of the Boston Marathon in that heat today. Hearing about the temperatures almost made me glad I wasn't there.

Almost.

Inspired by these marathoners' example of doing what needed to be done when it needed to be done, I went to physical therapy with a spring in my step....and the news after six weeks was good. My joint is still not perfect, but it was better than last week. And Sue took as a good sign the fact that I had less pain all week (even with all the air travel and sitting, cute little baby holding, bag carrying and Saturday's hike).

I had an adjustment (these feel so good) and some needling (this actually hurt a bit, but she got right into the tender spots around my sacrum, so I think later it will help). She also did some intramuscular stimulation with the needles. She'd done this last week, too, but I forgot to mention it. I felt it more this time, though. Here's a definition:

Intramuscular Stimulation (IMS)
Intramuscular stimulation (IMS) is a perpendicular dry needling technique, deep into the motor points and muscular tendinous junctions to release muscle shortening. It is effective but may be painful.

It sort of feels like a dull little pinprick shock. For me, it isn't painful. But it is uncomfortably weird.

Then I got two new exercises, one designed to loosen up my tight mid-back muscles and another to activate my multifidus muscle, which runs along the spine and needs to be doing more of the stabilizing work than it is right now. Yes, yet another back muscle I'd never heard of before and apparently haven't used in years!

It's actually on both sides of the spine, but this gives you the idea.

The best news was that I can now throw in some consecutive days on the recumbent bike....and it's time to start walking, walking fast....AND (drumroll) if all goes well this week, next week could bring walking with running intervals.

I almost couldn't breathe when she suggested that.

I realize it may not happen. You never know when a bad week will hit. Also, Cathy, my original therapist, will be back then, and her recommended course of action may be different from Sue's.

Still, this has given me a new fervor for my PT exercises. After the kids go to bed tonight, I plan to spend some quality time curled up with my stability ball, my foam roller, and my Theraband.

20 comments:

  1. WOO-HOO!!!! I'm actually very impressed that you didn't have any flare issues with all the travel! What a GREAT day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's great! I hope the next couple of weeks flies by with some great improvements!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BostonboundbrunetteApril 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM

    That's great news!  I am glad to hear that things are continuing to get better for you!  You will be running before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific news!!!  "walking with running intervals" - yeeHAW!!!   You've been diligent and consistent and you are getting where you need to be.  I'm very excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's room to celebrate in my book!!  Happy for the positive news and steady forward progress :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY, YAY, YAY!  Best news I've heard today!  I hope everything continues to improve and that Cathy agrees with Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to read this post! Fantastic news!!!
    See what the California air did to you?
    clearly you need to come more often!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely awesome to not have had any flare ups with all the traveling. And possible walk/run intervals? Wooo Hoooo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your PT sounds amazing. I'm so glad you found her. So excited things are moving quickly toward you being up and running again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Progress is always great news.  Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good news really good news!  You are going to be back at it before you know it! And can I just say that even the name, Intramuscular Stimulation Sounds painful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, fast walking?????? HA, you'll be there in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my goodness, i hope hope hope that happens for you next week, i know how hard it is to wait for that green light to run again!  you are being so good about your exercises!  my fingers are crossed for you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such great news!! Has it been 6 weeks already? Wow- it's flying by for me, but I'm sure feels like forever for you... fingers crossed that you get to add some running in next week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So excited for you!!! So, with insulin, I a lot of needles, but that intramuscular stimulation does not sound pleasant at all. You're a brave woman.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to read about your improvements. I am sure that very soon you can run again.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Runnin-from-the-lawApril 18, 2012 at 5:55 AM

    Sending continued healing vibes your way!

    I felt the same way about Boston.  A tiny bit relieved that this wasn't my first one in the heat, but then when I saw it happening wishing I was there even in the heat.  Someday we will be there!  :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fingers...and back muscles crossed all continues to go well in your healing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's really great news, congrats to you! I appreciate the informative post about your physical therapy endeavors.

    ReplyDelete