Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Executive Decision: No Injection

I'll admit: the warning that the injection for my back, originally scheduled for tomorrow, would cost more than $600 out of pocket played a role. But mostly, it's that I'm happy with my running right now, I'm convinced that running isn't making my back worse--and I want to keep my modest little momentum going.

So I did the math. It looked something like this:

[(Don't want to take a week off running; marathon 14 weeks away) + $600] - (Back still not pain-free) =

I Cancelled the Shot

It wasn't an open and shut choice. I still have a lot of pain first thing in the morning and overnight (trying to turn over in bed when I've been in one place for a while....yeah, it hurts). Getting into and out of certain positions that should flow easily in Pilates can cause me to catch my breath. And sitting too long (which I have to do at my job sometimes) doesn't agree with my back and glutes at all.

But my core is clearly stronger. I was able to go across some monkey bars on a playground with much more ease than the last time I tried (it's always fun to impress your kids). And today Kate, my fantastic massage therapist, said she thought my back and hamstrings were the loosest and happiest she'd seen them since she started working on me last December. This is despite the fact that I am down to just one session per week on the recumbent bike. All the rest of my cardio is.....running!

I can always reschedule the shot if it turns out I really do need it. But first I want to try to get to the California International Marathon as well-trained as possible given the four-month lay-off I had between March and June.

This injury isn't gone. I'm not going to pretend it is. I do wonder if it will ever completely go away. But though my running base has undoubtedly eroded, I do know that my core is far stronger than it was last year for Top of Utah or Houston, and that has to count for something. I figure I'm at least as safe training for this marathon as I was for those. This was never really a running injury, as much as it turned out that it interfered with running.

So I'm going for it. I'm going to train as hard as I safely can to run as fast as I can in Sacramento on December 2.

All I can do is, as they say in Russia, "Go with God." Isn't that all I could ever do anyway?

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like you made a good choice for where you are right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! You know yourself and I know whatever the decision is that you make will be a smart one. Injuries are such a pain in the butt! Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you are so very smart with not getting the injection and listening to your body. It seems that you are doing everything that you need to do to strengthen your body. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OUCH! I meant about the shot and the $600...........

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would have done the same in your position. That's a tough call, but makes a lot of sense. And having a stronger core should definitely make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know your body best and is the best indicator of what it needs and if this is what you're at peace with, then it's the right decision :). 14 weeks...yikes, it's really coming up fast. I'm so not ready for December (winter!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My philosophy is to never turn down a shot. Just kidding. My wife gave birth without an injection. It was the most impressive thing I've ever witnessed in my life. Hopefully your training won't be as painful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. raina_smalltownrunnerAugust 22, 2012 at 11:38 PM

    Oh, good call , in my opinion. CIM....I am just a little jealous. I want to do that one, but not where i should be for it. I hope you just keep getting better and better. WIth all that core work, i am sure you will!


    You were SO right about the reunion. It was a bit disappointing on many levels, but now I can safely NOT worry about anyone in high school for a long time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I really hope you can finish out your training! I know it's always a toss up in these kinds of situations, but you also have the option to do it later if things get worse. I probably would have made the exact same decision.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy shit your wife is my hero! Sorry just had to let you know i think that is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that all sounds promising. I'm cheering for it all to work out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh so glad your back is doing better! I think it was wise to turn down the shot...think of all the running gear $600 can buy you!! I think the best thing to do is train cautiously and go for it, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll always vote yes on not getting needles shoved in my back. Actually, the spinal I had for my section wasn't that bad, it just didn't work very well. Good luck with the training!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that was very good math!

    ReplyDelete