Thursday, December 13, 2012

Plans for 2013

I'll be racing here in March!
After the disappointment of the California International Marathon earlier this month, many of you nice people asked me if the fact that the Boston Marathon qualifier didn't happen meant I'd continue this blog past 40. The answer is still no, for the reasons I outlined in this post. I do plan to continue writing regularly here until my birthday on January 21--but after that I'm closing this shop.

I won't, however, stop trying to qualify for Boston. My hotel at CIM was crawling with runners in their Boston Marathon jackets. On Monday while I was driving to work I saw a guy running down Highway 119 wearing that jacket with the green piping and the unicorn logo. The jacket is everywhere--except in my closet. I really want to hit the streets of Boston--whatever craziness the weather might bring--and be able to say I'm in that rarefied group. Even if it takes me until I'm 50 or beyond, I'm going to keep after it.

So what does that mean going forward?

Right now it means....not doing much. I ran for the first time since CIM on Monday. It was just a 35-minute easy run at a low heart rate. I didn't wear the Garmin. I was just glad, after the cold/cough finally loosened its clutches, to be out there at all. Today I got to run again, this time with some 30-second pick-ups thrown in. The pick-ups felt good. I'd say my legs are fully recovered. Darren is easing me back into things very slowly. It's a good thing, too, because between my cold, the kids' birthday party, Christmas prep and then my son and husband catching the cold after I started feeling better, there's not a lot of spare time or energy around my house right now.

BUT.....

I have signed up for two races!

My next attempt at the BQ will at the Eugene Marathon on April 28. I laugh a little at this choice because Eugene is in Oregon, and it rains a lot in Oregon, and after CIM you might think the last thing I want is another four hours of marathoning in the rain. Truth is, though, it was the wind that killed me at CIM. Rain alone I can handle, and I certainly prefer it to heat and bright sunshine. Plus Darren called the course a "good one for going fast."

Prior to Eugene, I will be running the Canyonlands Half Marathon in Moab, Utah, on March 16. The scenery in the photo above speaks for itself!

I am excited about these two races because I will not be traveling to them alone. Kathy and Cynthia, my two best running buddies, will be toeing the line at both. Kathy's the one who organized the Canyonlands trip, and there will be a bunch of fun ladies there from her running group. In Eugene, meanwhile, Tricia, my fellow CIM 2012 survivor, will be there as well for either the full or the half, and today I found out that Corey will be there, too, gunning for a BQ of her own.

So you see, BQ by 40 may be going away....but I am not quitting the quest. While I won't be keeping a formal blog, I will be writing race reports on these two races, and any others that 2013 brings (if I don't BQ at Eugene, you can bet there will be a fall marathon, too). If you'd be interested in getting those race reports once the blog ends, send me your email address. I'm compiling a mailing list.

Let's hope "'13" proves to be a lucky number next year!

33 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh...if I had any spare $$ AT ALL I'd be jumping on that Canyonlands train. We were there 8 years ago and I LOVED it. So beautiful. And Kathy's report from last year sounded like a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. add me to your list! I would love to follow your dream with you, mostly since I have the same one. :) taratru at gmail

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so excited for you! eugene will be a perfect BQ race!!!!!

    definitely goes without saying but please add me to your list: runthelongroad@gmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to follow your journey :) I'll bet Eugene gets it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you plan to keep your readers informed by sharing race reports. Please add me to your list jill.chisholm@comcast.net
    I am also on a quest to BQ and would love to toe the line with you in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caolan (Chronic Runner)December 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM

    I'm running Canyonlands Too! I hope one of these days we will actually run together in the flesh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The scenery at that half marathon looks awesome! I came late to the "reading your blog" party, but I wish I would have come earlier. I like how you write with a lot of technical info and details. You write about a lot of things that I am interested in reading about. Your blog will be missed when it goes away in January. And yea barring more insane weather I bet you'll get that BQ time in Eugene. Fitting since you finish the marathon on the Olympic Trials track - and you will be qualifying for what I see as the Olympics for regular joes (Boston marathon). And yea, please add me to your email list for future race recaps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh no, I can't believe that I won't be able to read your posts anymore... boo. I think you have my email already so please send me along your race reports and any good book recommendations! :) I kinda feel like I'm losing a friend... wah.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please put me on the list - I can't wait to read about your journey!!! Good luck with your adventures this spring....I think Eugene will an incredible time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! Canyonlands looks amazing and I keep hearing good things about Eugene. I think it's yours for the taking! A bit tempted for that one...


    I just did my first run yesterday. Still have some crud going on and my lungs kinda felt awful, but it was nice to be out, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like 2 great races to kick off 2013. And add me to that mailing list :) Would love to hear how things are going!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know I want to keep hearing from you! I've heard good things about Eugene, so hopefully it'll be the lucky one! Darren hasn't led you astray so far.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heck yeah! Add me to the list. And good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely add me to your list! I think 2013 will be 'the' year for you to get that unicorn in the closet! Oooooh Eugene--I've always wanted to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely keep me on your list! I would be very sad to lose contact with you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please put me on the list! (hope you consider starting a new blog)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you already have me on there. :)

    Those are two gorgeous race locations, I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like 2 great choices! Keep me updated please. I'm glad you'll continue w: the race reports. I suppose after blogging so long it would be strange NOT to write one. Cowspotsandtales@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Terzah, keep me on the list. You might be getting close to qualifying for the 50 States and the 50 States and DC marathon clubs (10 states). I still need Oregon, but unfortunately, I already am doing a relay that April weekend. Keep running states I haven't run yet and we're bound to link up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay!!! Definitely include me in your list! Also, looking forward to our BQ races in April. (only showing confidence that it will happen for both of us :))

    ReplyDelete
  21. See you in Eugene :) ! I know another blogger in your area who regularly does the canyonlands race. It must be a good one....Not to scare you, but I think she said there was some wind there last year..? Maybe blew the porta-potties over.? Maybe that was a different half. Not sure.


    Well, I will miss your blog. Boo. BUt I get the beginning middle and end thing. I wonder at what point I close my own blog down and open one called "crazy old lady running" It is probably already out there.


    I do think you are going to have a great race in Eugene. We get rain, but last year it was 55-65 ish and overcast for the first 3 hours :) And can't beat the track finish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Please keep me on your list! And, good luck in your upcoming races! You WILL get your BQ.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The scenery in that Utah race looks great, and I have heard that the Eugene marathon is great (rain or no rain). I would love to run it but have another race the weekend before that, so its just not feasible this year. Good luck with your BQ goal -- keep in touch even after your blog is gone!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know I've not been a great blog reader but you know that I want to know! So add me to the list and I will keep tabs on FB. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Merry Christmas and happy new year to you and family.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just stopping by to say Merry Christmas, Terzah!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Please keep me on your list! (And, I apologize if this is a duplicate post . . . computer issues).

    ReplyDelete
  28. Utah is so beautiful! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi, I ԁо think this is аn excellent blog.
    I stumblеdupon іt ;) ӏ will return once agaіn ѕіnce i have saved as a favorіte it.
    Mοnеy and freedom іs the best way to change, may уou bе rich аnd contіnue to help others.
    Look into my web-site - easy money

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good luck on the BQ and never give up on it! I reached for my BQ goal falling short for 3 or 4 years before I finally crushed it running 10 mins faster then i needed and the feeling was wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Boo! That's like a cliff hanger! Maybe you'll have to start a new blog called "I BQed by xx" when you do it :) Good luck to you in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love what you guys tend to be up too. Such clever work and coverage!

    Keep up the amazing works guys I've added you guys to my own blogroll.
    Feel free to surf my blog post :: journal.theworkonline.info

    ReplyDelete