Next week, I get to run. Outside. At my full body weight (obviously).
I met with my physical therapist, Cathy, for the first time in more than a month today. My sacro-iliac joint was stable and responded as a healthy joint should to all of her tests. I told her that I am still not pain-free, particularly in the mornings, so she wants me to do a week of heavy ibuprofen and icing. She believes the ligaments and muscles around the joint are still inflamed, despite the stability of the joint itself. She thinks the requirement by my new coach, Darren, that I wait another week to do this first longed-for run outdoors is a good idea. She dry-needled some of the more tender lower back muscles on the left (and yes they do feel much better--I can honestly say I am an advocate of dry needling after these experiences).
Physical therapy isn't over. I have another appointment with her in a month to check in with my pain. I'm going to be religious about the icing and the ibuprofen because it sounds like I may be in for a steroid shot or something equally unpleasant if I'm still in pain by then. If that's what it takes to be pain-free, I'll do the shot.
For now, though, I'm not worried.
On Tuesday, I'll be here:
This is a park in my town that Darren recommended because it's flat and all-gravel but has lots of room--the kind of place where I'll be doing those first few runs. Cathy said to first add slow and easy on flat gravel, then add ups and downs, and then and only then can I add speed. I think this fits in well with Darren's plan for my comeback.
I'm feeling nervous but excited. I can't wait for Tuesday!